The predecessor to the Penghu Reclamation Hall was the Penghu County Magistrate's Mansion.” Constructed in 1933, it was the official residence of the Penghu prefectural governor during the Japanese occupation and home to the Penghu County magistrate after World War II. The architecture is an eclectic combination of Japanese and Western styles, constructed with materials native to Penghu.
The vestibule and Western-style living and dining rooms are made of reinforced concrete. The roof, Japanese-style living room, bedroom, and corridor are authentically Japanese, both in design and material. A low stone wall of Penghu basalt marks off the front courtyard.
The Penghu County Government building also dates from 1933. After occupying Taiwan, the Japanese took over the Qing dynasty's administrative offices in Penghu. However, the wooden structure had suffered severe damage from humidity and termites and was no longer viable. As a result, the Kamutaki Group undertook the construction of what today is the Penghu County Government Building on the north side of Magong City.
The new building is a two-story structure made of concrete and Penghu basalt; its overall design is symmetrical and well-ordered. Traditional Japanese tiles cover the roof. A tower in the center resembles the Amaterasu Grand Shrine in Japan, making the building appear as though it is wearing an emperor’s cap, hence the term "imperial crown-style” architecture! During WWII, the outer walls were painted khaki, the "national defense color." After Taiwan's retrocession, the Republic of China continued to use the structure, renaming it Penghu County Hall. The building brims with historical significance!