Dedicated to the goddess Nanhai Guanyin Bodhisattva, Guanyin Temple is an archetypal ancient temple in Penghu. However, it's not only a center of religious belief but also an important strategic location. The area stands guard over Dashan Islet and overlooks Yuwengdao and Baisha Township. Records show that troops were garrisoned here as early as 1622, before the Dutch occupation. The site also saw military use during the late-Ming and Qing periods.
With a history of over 300 years, Guanyin Temple has undergone many reconstructions. It was first erected in 1696. The ancient bell and bell pavilion also date from that time. However, they were destroyed during the Sino-French War in 1885, and cultural relics in the temple, including two statues of Guanyin and statues of the Eighteen Arhats, were plundered. In 1891, Wu Hongluo, military commander of Penghu Shuishi Town, donated silver to rebuild the temple. In 1923, when the new Penghu administrative office building was completed, the glutinous-rice dough lion that stood in front of the Penghu prefectural offices was moved here. When the temple was rebuilt in 1959, the Tide-watching Pavilion was added on the left side. There you can enjoy the ebb and flow of the Taiwan Strait and view magnificent sunsets over Xiyu Island, one of Taiwan’s eight famous scenic wonders.
Magong Guanyinting Recreation Area has been renovated and equipped with sports and leisure facilities, including a water park, an international windsurfing competition center, and a children's playground. A great place to relax and have fun in the water, the area is popular with residents and tourists alike.